Cousins work to restore historic site


Anne Walker and Doug Owens are distant cousins who joined efforts to revive and restore the Old Piney Cemetery  which was established in 1860. 

The two share a great grandfather who is buried in the cemetery. Upon the first of many visits, they realized the property was in extreme disrepair and needed attention as well as a freshening of some existing headstones. Several graves were unmarked. 

They are encouraging anyone with information of a loved one buried in the Old Piney Cemetery to contact them as there were more graves located just recently. 

The Monticello Branch Library was presented with this extensive and well articulated binder filled with information that has been located and uncovered throughout their journey. We want to thank Walker and  Owens for being stewards to preserve the history of our wonderful county. 

All contact information is available in the binder located in our genealogy room.


No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here